Catapult Academy Featured at National FORUM

Pages from 2015_FORUM_ProgramDr. Eurmon Hervey, National Vice President and Superintendent of Schools for Catapult Learning, was a featured presenter at the 2015 At-Risk Youth National FORUM, held February 16-19 in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. The FORUM is presented annually by The National Dropout Prevention Center/Network.  This year’s theme, “Providing Hope and Support In and Beyond the Classroom,” focused on enhancing the leadership skills of all adults seeking to strengthen intervention among school, community, and families, especially those in at-risk situations.

Dr. Hervey presented two sessions during the four-day conference. The first session, “Dropout Recovery: Creating Effective Partnerships to Ensure Success,” focused on the strategies that create pathways for youth to return to formal education, and the importance of public and private partnerships in these dropout recovery efforts. The second session, “Understanding Student Success Through Student Voices,” featured a panel of young adults who participated in dropout prevention and dropout recovery programs and are now successful college students, college graduates, college administrators, and military currently serving in leadership roles in the Armed Forces.

Panelist Johnnie Thomas (standing in picture below), a graduate of Catapult Academy and a freshman at Johnson C. Smith University (JCSU), co-presented with Dr. Hervey.  Mr. Thomas shared his personal experience attending the dropout-recovery program and his challenges and successes as a first-year DNPC, Johnnie Thomas 2015college student. At John C. Smith University, he made the Dean’s List and has a 3.5 GPA, is a senator on the Freshman Class Council and a founding member of Men of Excellence, and represented the university during a meeting with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Mr. Thomas contributes much of his success to the support and encouragement he received and continues to receive from Catapult Academy. He’s committed to providing the same support and encouragement as a mentor to both Catapult Academy students and other at-risk students to help reduce the high school dropout rate.

0 Comments