A Customized Instructional Approach
We don’t believe in a “one size fits all” approach. Comprehensive individualized programs for each student are the cornerstone of our education program. Using tutorial-based methods to reduce distractions, our intimate, personalized classroom model establishes trust between the teacher and the student. Even the smallest academic achievements become powerful reinforcements of a positive cycle of success. Your child will build confidence and competence, achieving a higher quality of life.
We focus on personalized academic, behavioral, and transitional goals to ensure your child’s growth. Our caring staff of educational specialists work to make sure your child graduates and can also assist your child in returning to public school. Here are several benefits available to all students at our schools:
- Small Class Sizes
- High Staff-to-Student Ratios
- Social Skills Integration
- Adapted Physical Education
- Music Therapy
- Speech-Language & Occupational Therapies
- Positive Behavior Support
- Handle with Care (Verbal De-escalation & Crisis Intervention Program)
- Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA)
- Evaluation & Consultation Services
Personalized Diagnostic Assessments
We start by interviewing you about your goals for your child. By identifying what works in your lives, we design a program around those successes. This creates continuity for your child in all environments. The goal is creating a skill set for your child so they can forge a future of independence. After the interview process, we perform an assessment of your child’s abilities, which allows us to decide the best placement for your child’s growth.
A Promising Future Through Life Skills Training
Above all else, we want our students to explore their full capacities and achieve their full capabilities heading into adulthood. Transition and life planning services pave the way for successful independent living, rewarding postsecondary schooling experiences, and productive and fulfilling careers.
The Center for Autism & Dyslexia values the importance of programming for your child’s future. Each student enrolled in our transition classroom will be administered the Assessment of Functional Living Skills to drive their programming. The assessment includes six modules to assess your child’s skills in the following areas:
- Basic Living Skills
- Home Skills
- Community Skills
- School Skills
- Independent Living Skills
- Vocational Skills
Our team will meet with you to determine which areas should be focused on to equip your child with the most future success. After the assessment is complete, your child’s classroom teacher will design an individual rotation model of instruction to teach and generalize your child’s skills.
Each site includes mock apartment equipment, accessible kitchens, and a variety of vocational activities to match our students’ growth needs.
A Comprehensive Education That Addresses All Needs
The Center for Autism & Dyslexia addresses areas of need that interfere with learning and provides all supplementary and related support services your child might need to succeed. These services include:
- Speech-Language Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Music Therapy
- Behavioral Interventions
- Discrete Trial Training
Speech pathologists customize programs focusing on such skills as expressive and receptive language, speech production, auditory processing, social language, voice, and fluency. Engaging in topic-relevant conversations, establishing problem-solving skills, improving decision making, utilizing appropriate vocabulary, and developing conceptual understanding are all components that are reinforced.
Our therapist works directly with your child on foundational skills for motor planning, sensory processing, organization, and visual motor integration. Integration of OT within the classroom ensures that your child’s therapy plan complements their everyday responsibilities.
Your child participates in group or 1:1 music therapy weekly. Taught by an accredited music therapist, lessons are designed to teach, expand, and reinforce language and social skills.
We implement a school-wide behavior intervention program that focuses on self-regulation through promoting positive behaviors while decreasing less desirable behaviors. All teachers are trained and supervised by a BCBA (board-certified behavior analyst) and are certified in crisis intervention and the principle and theories of Applied Behavior Analysis.
Discrete Trial Training
Your child receives DTT therapy, an intense 1:1 learning approach in which students are engaged in trials of demands that focus on expanding their repertoire of language development. The sessions consist of a combination of current target interventions and mastered skills in a highly motivating environment to ensure that each student’s engagement is high.
Autism Society of Northwest Ohio
Awakening Minds Art
Special Kids Therapy
The Center for Autism & Dyslexia is committed to achieving success with each student, against all challenges. By building confidence and competence through personalized academic and behavioral interventions, we prepare your child to become a happy and responsible adult.
Goals for Students at the Center for Autism & Dyslexia:
To be healthy individuals who:
- Demonstrate the ability to form responsible relationships with a wide range of people
- Have the capacities for playing satisfying and responsible roles in family life
- Possess the knowledge, habits, and attitudes that promote personal and public health
- Understand ethical principles and values and apply them to their own lives
- Are aware of their own worth, abilities, potential, and limitations
To be independent individuals who:
- Are skilled in obtaining information, problem solving, critical thinking, and effective communication
- Play a greater role in their educational environment
- Enjoy the process of learning and acquire skills necessary for a lifetime of continuous learning, adaptation to change, and engagement/productivity as a member of society
- Are aware of career opportunities and pursue knowledge necessary for further education
- Contribute to the political decision-making processes of the community, state, country, and world
To be academically competent individuals who:
- Acquire academic skills in language arts, mathematics, and the physical and biological sciences
- Understand specific events and the broader context of social studies, history, and current events
- Express themselves creatively in one or more of the arts